Saturday, May 19, 2012

Self-Aware Series

 Another project for Painting & Color Theory was this three piece series. We had to decide on a triad color palette and tell a narrative. I chose the triad palette red-yellow-blue because I found it to be the most effective to tell the story (and it's also one of my personal favorites). The narrative I chose was a woman discovering and knowing her innermost self through means of meditation and that sort of thing, a practice that I'm personally interested in. 


The three initial ink pen sketches, and the final products below.

The first piece shows a woman who is sort of lost and melancholic. I chose to portray this emotion by using more muted tones of blue, with some hints of red and yellow. The blues are cool, the cold sort of feeling associated with being alone/lost, yet at the same blue can be sort of soothing (her inner potential). The graphic shapes show a spiraling pattern that is rather complex in order to emphasize the character's contained confusion.
 The second piece shows the woman in a meditative state, organizing her thoughts/emotions. I chose to portray this sense through using a balance of all three colors, with more of  a red overlay to symbolize her sort of circulation/initiation of discovery. The graphic shaping is more expansive but still controlled and contained, the character is not yet fully open/evolved. 
                                                             The third piece shows the woman as finding her inner light, a state of being enlightened/inspired. I chose to portray this step in the series using all three colors, with more of a yellow presence to show happiness and purification. The graphic shaping is now more exposed and "free". The gesture of the pose and the movement of the hair also were intended to show the idea of moving forward in understanding oneself.

The cosmos/spacey background was included to add to the vastness and "universal" consciousness that is within each one of us. (yep, all that philosophical n' spiritual stuff) :P 

These were created traditionally with ink pen and colored digitally at a standard 8.5x11".

No comments:

Post a Comment