Friday, May 18, 2012

Summertime America

 This piece was the final project in my fall semester Painting & Color Theory class. The assignment was to create a still life with meaning.
Looking around my dorm room, I didn't have too much that was all that interesting besides dirty clothes and pencils - but, I did have a Coca-Cola bottle and nifty american flag.


I thought to myself, "Hmmm, what theme does this bring to mind?" and then BAM, it hit me in big old fireworks - SUMMERTIME AMERICA. Soooo... I threw in my sun glasses, red jewelry box, and found these nifty little leaves. The sunglasses and leaves ring summer, the jewelry box also symbolizing summer because within it are trinkets given to me by my wonderful love with whom I got together with in the summer of 2009 (yup, I just got all cheesy on ya :P)  SO! This little set up sat in the corner of my desk for about two weeks were I worked on it periodically, and there ya have it!


Acrylic on 9x12" homemade gesso board


                                         
The set-up and work-in-progress!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Katie, I love your work but I worry that you give away too much resolution (for free). At resolutions of 1236x1600 someone can make poster size prints of your hard work (for free). Now I am beginning to sound like a Ferengi. If you re-size them to 640x480 then they will load faster and it will offer you a little bit of protection. You may also wish to watermark your your work. You may wish to visit a site like http://drublair.com . His artwork was widely distributed as screensavers and I don't think he ever got the recognition for it that he deserved for his innovative depiction of aircraft (especially Tomcat and Power).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right! I was planning on doing this to my work shortly, I just wanted to get this up and going and haven't gotten around to it yet. Thank you so much for your consideration and I'm glad you enjoy the work! :)

      Delete