Saturday, October 6, 2012

Figure Ground Relationship

Using only a minimal number of black and white shapes I had to translate the verb "swimming". The piece had to be semi-abstract in order to be able to be somehow subverted in a later step of the project.
The second step was to take the positive and negative shapes and add a few values of grey. Since my composition was already simple, I decided not to overcomplicate the value structure and added subtle grey
to the water.
Next we had to translate the values into color. I chose primarily objective colors for what you may see as water.

By using color variation and freedom of transforming values, we were told to create a subversive meaning to our initial composition. I decided to turn my concept of swimming into a firey/mountain mountain range where the figure seems to be enjoying tribal dance ritual.


This last one was kind of just a bonus experiment with color, but since I had water and fire/land, I wanted to try to pull off air, so this is my attempt at making my figure "skydive".

No comments:

Post a Comment